<prev<      >next>
Show Reviews
Direct bookmark: http://HyperRust.org/Tour97/?R16
(updated Friday, 19-Jun-2009 07:18:53 EDT)

HORDE at Pine Knob
Clarkston, Michigan, July 27, 1997

Jump down to...
--> Andy and Zain's report from the Festival
--> The Roadeye Review
(more to come)
Also See:
--> The show details.

The set list

    Early Solo Accoustic Set
  1. Heart of Gold
  2. Out on the Weekend
  3. Comes A Time
  4. This Note's For You     [shortened]

    Late Crazy Horse Set

  5. My My, Hey Hey
  6. Crime in the City
  7. Hippie Dream
  8. Big Time
  9. From Hank to Hendrix
  10. The Needle and the Damage Done
  11. Ohio
  12. Slowpoke     [New Song]
  13. Down by the River
  14. Tonight's the Night
  15. Sedan Delivery
  16. Mansion on the Hill     [Encore]

Live Report From The Festival

Early Report by Andy Strote & Zain Patel

Hey ho,
Well, after the local winner of the battle of the bands finished their set, Neil did indeed make his way from the Lionel tent to the Horde O Culture stage and play a short, very short set.

Started with Heart of Gold, Out On The Weekend, Comes A Time ..... and then was told he'd have to finish off cause another band was starting on another stage. So he squeezed in the shortest version of This Note's For You -- like the first verse and a chorus -- and then he was outta there.

Lotsa Rusties right up on the edge of the stage. Mary beaming from ear to ear, Barb Hardaway, Zain, Kato, Roy, Dave "Slug" Fielder, Mike, Eric, Leo, and hey lots of others and friends and spouses. It was a gas. Right now it's about 4:35 and Zain and I are heading for the main stage and to check out the vendors.

In spirit, you're all here with us. Away we go. See ya later.

Andy & Zain

HORDE at Pine Knob
Clarkston, Michigan, July 27, 1997

review by Roadeye

Just got home from the latest HORDE show, and since I think I was going to be the first one in the door, I feel the need to share. I arrived at the venue at about 11:30 am. Apparantly I was mistaken for "staff", since I was allowed in to park and not made to pay the usual $6.00 parking fee - so far, so good.

The Toronto contingent rolled in shortly after 12:00 when the gates were opened to non-staff. Met up with Mary, Andy, Zain, Kato and Dave. Also introduced myself to a couple of Rusties who are touring with Neil and will be attending approximately 19 shows. My hat is off to these guys because I think I could only handle a couple of days like these.

Dave and Kato played some tunes (sorry, no setlist available) while the temprature got hotter and stickier, as it would throughout the rest of the day. Around 1:30, after Mike, Bob and some more Rusties showed, we went in.

Mary had previously identified the HORDE O'Culture tent, so like good Rusties off we went to secure the best possible place to see Neil up close. Around 1:50, Larry came out, laid out Neil's harps and did the sound check. Looked like everything was a go, he even poured water for Neil. Water was not a commodity to be wasted today.

Half an hour later, Neil was spotted setting up the trains at the Lionel tent. But we stuck to our patch of ground. Even when the guitar was taken away, we took solace in the fact that the harps were still there. Some went over to watch Neil work with the trains, but others stayed at the small stage in the hopes that Neil soon would be there. When Larry carried the guitar away though, all hopes were dashed. Word had been passed that there had been no acoustic set the past three shows, so I don't think anyone was too surprised that there wouldn't be one here.

Off we went to see Neil at work. Over at the Lionel tent, Neil was hard at work, cleaning the tracks, meticulously arranging the trees and bushes that adorn the train set, and testing the equipment. Eventually Zeke came over and was working with his dad. Zeke was there throughout the day, watching, working and even selling the Lionel merchandise for a while. Ben was there, too, and I saw him several times throughout the day around the complex.

Before too long, Elliot was overheard telling someone that Neil would be playing the acoustic set after all, as soon as the first band was done. They were already into their half hour set, so back we went to the HORDE O'Culture stage. At 3:30, just after Domestic Problems finished their set, Neil came on, sat down, asked how we were all doing, and started his show.

If you are fortunate enough to see him in this setting, consider yourself lucky. We were maybe six feet away from Neil. I can't imagine how you could get any closer to him while he played, unless he came and played in your living room! Here's the setlist: Heart of Gold, "Meltdown", Out on the Weekend, Comes a Time, This Note's for You. After the first song, Neil paused and several people yelled out requests. Neil said "Meltdown" and then made the noise one makes when your lips are pressed together and you blow. Sorry don't know how to describe it any better, might be spelled "bpppppppppp".

The set lasted only 15 minutes, because Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies were scheduled to go on at 3:45. As far as I could tell, all the bands started and ended at their alloted times. Neil was doing TNFY and had gotten through the first verse before there was a squeal of feedback from the other stage, and he ended the song. He remarked that he had warned us it would be a short song. Oh well, better than nothing, and I was glad to be there for this.

Next came what, for me was a five and three quarter hour intermission. I know many of you enjoyed the other bands that are on the bill, but I am not familiar with any of them and it was too hot to have my musical horizons expanded. My loss, although I did catch most of Primus who went on just before Neil and the Horse. They were good.

The Horse hit the stage at exactly 9:30 and played until 11:02. Neil was very animated and talked more here than I can recall him talking on most of the tapes I have. Here's the setlist: (see above) Crime in the City had the updated lyric: "...the houseboat was surrounded". Hippie Dream had a long instumental ending. Tonight's the Night was a long version with Neil calling for Bruce to bring him his guitar at the end. The encore was Mansion on the Hill.

And that was it. Nothing left but the drive home, and sending this. It was a great time and I can't wait for the next show. As someone else posted, DON'T MISS THIS TOUR!

(more to be added when I can... --RE*AC*TOR)